CHALLENGE 24Aqua Park and Paddle boarding - 20.07.19
My second retrospective challenge announcement, sometimes, there’s just not enough hours in the day…
Last weekend saw a group of my friends and I enjoy a fab hour on an inflatable, floating obstacle course, followed by another hour of trying out paddle boarding!
The reasons as to why these were challenges are below:
- These activities have always appealed to me as they look like they would be a lot of fun, but previously I would have been too scared to give it a go myself. With the whole 35 Before 35 mindset of getting out of my comfort zone, I couldn’t say no could I!
- Open water! Growing up, I would always be in the sea on our holidays in Cornwall and France. But now that I’m older, I’m actually a little scared of water, especially lake water. I mean, what is in there?!
- I was terrified that I wouldn’t be any good, that I wouldn’t be able to pull myself up onto the obstacle course (as I have zero body strength) and that I’d just be super embarrassed, which would steal any fun and joy I could have had.
- Trying out a new skill with the paddle boarding. Again, beforehand at the briefing, I didn’t think I could do it. I would be the first one in the water and I wouldn’t be able to stand up.
What actually happened?
- I haven’t laughed so much in ages! I was completely out of my comfort zone but I had the best time with my friends!
- I survived the open water, and actually quiet enjoyed it….maybe another challenge to come perhaps?
- Haha, I definitely had difficulty getting on to some of the obstacles. But what happened? Nothing. We had a laugh and then my friends helped me up.
- Paddle boarding was fun and it was a great workout. The water was quite choppy at that point with the wind, so I could do with some more practice, but again I tried my best and managed to stand up a few times, Wahoo!
So, the lesson to this challenge? Try not to be put off with something that scares/intimidates you. I know it’s easier said than done, as I still have trouble with this but I’m slowly learning to try and do things that I wouldn’t have dreamed of before, because what’s the worst that can happen? Give it a go, you never know, you might just have fun!